Michael H. King
Washington University (St. Louis), B.S. 1967
Washington University School of Law (St. Louis), J.D. 1970
Admitted to Illinois Bar 1970. In good standing continuously to present.
Mr. King is an extremely experienced trial lawyer with more than 40 years of first chair responsibility in significant trials, appeals, hearings, and investigations. He has tried civil and white collar criminal cases and handled hearings and proceedings in federal and state courts across the country and overseas. He has developed and implemented strategies in complex commercial matters involving class actions, MDL proceedings relating to antitrust, environmental and personal injury/product claims, mass torts, bankruptcy proceedings, financial issues etc. He has a deep background in criminal grand jury investigations and regulatory investigations.
- Winner of the I.E. Goldberg ring as national outstanding undergraduate
- Chapter Master
- Chapter Rush Chairman
- Chapter Pledge Chairman
- Honor Scholarship, 1969
- Urban Law Annual, editorial staff
- Honor Council
- Moot Court team
- Chairman, Executive Committee, 7 years
- Member, Executive Committee, 15 years
- Chairman of the Litigation Department, several years
- Member, Board of partners, 2003-2005
American Bar Foundation
International Bar Association
Seventh Circuit Bar Association
Chicago Inn of Court
Federal Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
American Judicature Society
- Illinois Supreme Court (1970)
- U.S. Supreme Court (1972)
- US Courts of Appeal:
- Second (1994)
- Third (1983)
- Fifth (1991)
- Sixth (2009)
- Seventh (1974)
- Eighth (2007)
- Tenth (1987)
- U.S. District Courts:
- N.D.IL (1970) — Member of Trial Bar
- C.D.IL (1992)
- N.D.CA (1987)
- E.D.MI (1988)
- E.D.WI (1972)
- District of Nebraska (1988)
- U.s. Tax Court (1987)
Economic Club of Chicago
Illinois Holocaust Museum Education Center
Professional Affiliations & Recognition
- Former Chairman of Criminal Enforcement Antitrust Law Committee, Federal Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Criminal Practice and Procedure Committee, Litigation Section
- Member, Economic Club
- Member, Bar Association of the Seventh Circuit
- Member, American Bar Endowment
- Member, Chicago Inn of Court
- Member: International Bar Association
- Former Chairman, Illinois Office of the State Appellate Defender
- U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Organized Crime and Racketeering Section, May 1970-1973, Special Attorney, Chicago Strike Force
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Illinois, 1973-December 29, 1975, Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Antonow& Fink, Associate, 1976, Partner, 1977-1978
- Ross & Hardies (merged with McGuire Woods LLP in 2003), Partner, 1978-2005
- LeBouef Lamb Green & McCrea (merged into Dewey &LeBouef in 2007), Partner, February 1, 2005 — March 2011, Managing Partner Chicago Office
- Neal Gerber Eisenberg LLP, March 2011-2013, Partner
- Edwards Wildman (merged with Locke Lord LLP), partner, 2013-2015 Locke Lord LLP, Of Counsel 2016-18
- Represented corporations and individuals facing government-related investigations involving FCPA and UK Bribery Act/SFO; antitrust and major toxic episodes: including environmental grand jury proceedings, mass torts, OSHA investigations; SEC, DOD and other regulatory and criminal investigations and companion civil litigation.
- Represented Fortune 100 companies faced with raids, seizures and investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Departments of Defense, State Treasury, and the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Managed litigation involving questionable employee conduct around the world, whistleblower issues and other employment-related litigation. Additionally, I have handled class actions involving antitrust, securities, mass torts, theft of intellectual property, and employee raids, age discrimination and plant closings, as well as wrongful discharge cases in various states (Florida, Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio, among others).
- Led litigation and tried cases involving significant bank and trust interpretation issues, real estate and construction (including insurance-related issues arising from construction disputes), wrongful discharge, product liability and criminal cases.
- Participated in significant bankruptcy proceedings in New York, Florida, Illinois and other jurisdictions.
- Served as an arbitrator and participated in several forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Experience On Your Side
Mr. King is very familiar with the court systems and has developed and implemented creative solutions for sensitive and complex problems. Mr. King's broad experience working with senior executives and in-house lawyers has given him great insight to the different concerns of insight to the different concerns of all involved in representing the same client. He can function smoothly with outside lawyers and in-house lawyers as well as between management and Boards during periods of stress. A second set of very experienced eyes can bring perspective to difficult situations
Mr. King also spent his much of his career with the US Dept of Justice prosecuting organized crime and racketeering cases. He tried criminal cases with the US Attorney office in Chicago for many years. He then worked with major international law firms where he served in various management roles, including: Managing Partner, Chairman of Executive Committee, Office Managing Partner, and Head of Litigation.